Hav by Jan Morris

Strange Horizons has now posted my review of Hav by Jan Morris (not currently available in the U.S., but the U.K. edition is available for a relatively good price and free worldwide shipping via The Book Depository).

I wasn't sure about Hav when I first started reading it, but once I began to figure out what Morris was up to, it became fascinating, and I read and reread parts of it many times. It often felt like reading Leena Krohn's Tainaron, although Hav is less overtly fantastical than Tainaron.

There are some interesting bits about the original Hav book, Last Letters From Hav (now incorporated, with "Hav of the Myrmidons" into Hav), at this postcolonialism site.

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders