And Now the News

Pardon a moment of personal news, but I have mentioned here that I was looking for a new job, and so I thought I would announce that I found one. I will be teaching in Paramus, New Jersey for the '07/08 school year (and hopefully beyond). I'm going to start looking for apartments immediately, probably in Hoboken or Jersey City or somewhere around there, and then will begin moving as soon as I can.

All of this will have some implications for The Mumpsimus, both in the short and long term. In the short term, expect some book give-aways and maybe even book sales (I really don't want to move thousands of books to NJ). Also, if you're a publisher or author, please don't send me anything until I have a new address (I'll send out one of those charming mass emails once I have said address). Blogging is likely to be typically erratic.

In the long term, this change should mean a lot more varied writing here. First, because I'm moving to a job that will, once I adjust to it, probably allow me a lot more time to read and write. This past year has been very difficult in terms of all the things that took over my schedule. (I haven't completed any new fiction, aside from a 400-word story, since I wrote "The Last Elegy", recently published in Logorrhea.) But once I get through the next couple months, life should be considerably different.

Also, because I'll be living just over the river from Manhattan, I hope to be able to write about more events here, particularly plays. There are a couple of big shows I hope to see, but mostly I'm looking forward to rediscovering what's been going on beyond the glitter of Broadway -- it's been ten years since I was last able to see much New York theatre, and I've missed it. I can only begin to imagine what sorts of changes are ahead.

In other news, Jeff VanderMeer has announced some great things about Best American Fantasy, which is now only a couple months away from being released...

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders